FRIENDS AND RESIDENTS
OF THE ABBOTT STREET
FRIENDS AND RESIDENTS
OF THE ABBOTT STREET HERITAGE
CONSERVATION AREA SOCIETY
What is FRAHCAS?
- To encourage the preservation of structural and natural heritage within the Abbott Street Heritage Conservation Area and to maintain its existing single and two-family residential character.
- To advocate the preservation, conservation and restoration of heritage and to work toward more public awareness and understanding of heritage in our area and its importance to the City.
- To advocate for the Heritage Register and further research properties beyond what the City has done.
- To list and research natural landscapes or landscape features considered to be of particular historical, horticultural or design interest in our area and to conserve, maintain and expand our active natural and structural archives.
LETTER FROM OUR PAST PRESIDENT
DO YOU WANT TO SEE LARGE SCALE COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT INTRUDE INTO OUR ABBOTT STREET AND MARSHALL STREET HERITAGE AREAS?
As City Council approves large scale commercial development on an ever- increasing scale we are in danger of losing the character of our very unique neighbourhood.
In 1998 City Council pursuant to the Local Government Act wisely proclaimed the Abbott Street and Marshall street areas as designated heritage and conservation districts of a residential and historical character.
Our Society was formed to protect those objectives.
In fulfillment of this mandate it is essential that we have a strong membership. Remember our society refers to “Friends and Residents”. Many of our members do not live in the heritage area but feel strongly that the objects of the Society are of the utmost importance in the preservation of what we value in our community of Kelowna as it continues to increase in size and population.
BECOME A MEMBER
For only $10 per year per household, you can become a member of FRAHCAS. We would love to have you join us!
Sign up for our email list to get the latest information from FRAHCAS.
Explore the Abbott Street Heritage Area
Their website provides information on–
- Heritage Conservation Areas
- Protected Heritage Properties
- Kelowna Heritage Register
- Heritage Planning Initiatives
- Heritage Grants Program
- Heritage Building Tax Incentive Program
The Kelowna Heritage Register is an official listing of around 200 heritage buildings which have been evaluated and considered to have significant value within the community.
More information can be found on the City of Kelowna website –
- Heritage Conservation Areas – including the Abbott Street Conservation Area
- Heritage Revitalization Agreements – Allows owners of heritage buildings to vary some development-related requirements and provides longer term heritage protection of the property.
- Heritage Register – A property on the Heritage Register is recognized as having heritage value within the City, and has access to grants and incentives for heritage restoration.
- Heritage Designation Bylaw – A Heritage Designation Bylaw can be used to secure long term protection of a heritage asset and has increased access to grants and incentives above the Heritage Register.
Visit the City of Kelowna website to find out if your property is in the Abbott Street Conservation Area, what you can do with it, how to apply for a Heritage Alteration Permit find a list of protected Heritage Properties and more.
TAKE A SELF-GUIDED TOUR
The guide includes history of the area, lists 48 homes on the Kelowna Heritage Register and gives examples and descriptions of various styles of homes found in the area.